Defensive lineman’s secret to success

footballpracticedrobinson.bg.bwThe Hurricanes’ fastest defensive lineman does not need Gatorade or water to sack the quarterback or blow through an offensive lineman. He does not even need oranges or energy bars to produce on the field.

Instead, the speed and passion comes from eating chocolate, something Marcus Robinson loves.

“I have to eat my chocolate before every game,” he said.

Chocolate has allowed this sophomore defensive end to create enormous plays for the Canes. In the season opener against Florida State, Robinson had a sack and  forced a fumble on the same play to give the Hurricanes offense momentum in the third quarter.

Last year in a Thursday night showdown against Virginia Tech, Robinson recorded three sacks and earned ACC Defensive Lineman of the Week honors.

But football and chocolate are only a few humbling things in Robinson’s life. Growing up, No. 56 had a terrible attitude and had a lot of aggression, something his father, Mitchell, noticed everyday. Mitchell wanted Robinson to channel his anger into a good way so he pushed Robinson into football.

“I used to have a real bad attitude,” said Robinson, who grew up in Homestead, Fla.  “My father was always telling me to use all that aggression and go take it out on people on the field.”

And that’s what Robinson did.

As a senior at Homestead High, Robinson collected 98 tackles and 24 sacks, which brought him an invitation to the U.S. High School Army All-American game.

Idolizing Ray Lewis for his passion for the game and his bone-crunching hits, Robinson became a Miami Hurricane in 2008. Since then Robinson has been a joyful but hard-hitting player for Miami, laying the wood on whoever gets into his path, including quarterbacks.

Last season Robinson was the fifth-leading tackler on the team and had four sacks. He was named to the 2008 Collegefootballnews.com Freshman All-American list.

“I love to run and hit people,” Robinson said. “That’s what I do.”

Off the field, Robinson enjoys spending time with his family while watching movies and tearing through pepperoni pizza, something he loves as well. Robinson especially enjoys watching Tyler Perry movies, which are about the power of family.

“He is a good kid,” head coach Randy Shannon said. “Marcus is kind of quiet and very fun loving.”

With a chance to make an impact in the Homestead community, Robinson plans on graduating from UM and  pursuing a football career at the next level.

“I come from a real bad and hard background,” Robinson said. “The kids look up to me where I’m from. I use that to stay positive and do positive things. That’s why I want to give back as much as I can.”

The next time you witness Robinson either sack or create a turnover for the Canes, do not ask if he ate his Wheaties this morning.

Know that chocolate is his key to success.

Lelan LeDoux may be contacted lledoux@themiamihurricane.com.

Lelan LeDoux

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

Senior Dew Weber of the University of Miami golf team continued to march towards her professional go ...

The University of Miami soccer team dropped its ACC road match against NC State, 1-0, Thursday night ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...