Beach shuttles return this Sunday

The next shuttle to Crandon Park Beach on Key Biscayne will be leaving this Sunday during Family Weekend.

Parents of students can also ride the shuttles for free with the name badges they receive from Family Weekend.

The first monthly shuttle on Sept. 5 had a much larger turnout than expected despite the heavy storm that day.

“Every shuttle was almost completely full,” said Kristen Weaver, vice president of Student Government.

Two buses filled up at 10 a.m. and had to leave together, slightly altering the schedule of the buses.

The shuttles are sponsored by Student Government and the Department of Parking and Transportation.

“It’s a good use of shuttles to have them go off campus because it helps freshman learn about where they are living,” said Genevieve Stack, a sophomore who rode on the first bus.

Stack also likes these shuttles for personal reasons.

“We are cheap and we do not have to pay for parking if we ride the shuttle,” Stack said.

These buses loop every half hour from Stanford Circle and Key Biscayne between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m., a 45-minute round trip.

Buses to Crandon Park have been tried before, running weekly, but were not successful because of a lack of participation; the last one ran in 2005.

Info box:
When: Sunday
Time: Shuttles loop every half hour from Stanford Circle and Key Biscayne between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m.
Who: UM students with Cane Cards
Price: Free of charge

Claudia Curiel

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...