‘Fame’ fails to excite

The most glaring problem with Fame is not that it is an unnecessary remake of a far-superior movie. It is not that it removed the heart and soul of the original 1980 film–the music that made it so eternal–and replaced it with an ill-conceived, updated hip-hop sound. The issue at hand, to be honest, is that it is dull.

Fame, the 1980 musical film which inspired a generation of artistic adolescents and spawned a hit TV spin-off, is the story of a group of students at the New York High School of Performing Arts, based on the famous LaGuardia High School. The students are actors, singers, musicians, and dancers; in the original, they face realistic, somewhat-taboo problems like teen pregnancy, racism, and abortion. In the remake, the most these obnoxious brats deal with is an ill-conceived first time drinking.

One of the major issues is that there are too many characters, none of whom are particularly compelling. Kay Panabaker is terrible as repressed actress Jenny–she’s supposed to be the best of the best?–and Marco, her character’s boyfriend, is portrayed by Asher Book, a poor man’s Zac Efron. The only actors who escape relatively unscathed are the adults who portray the instructors, Broadway luminaries such as Bebe Neuwirth and Megan Mullally.

Fame runs far too long and devotes far too little time to its characters, spending only minutes at a time in each of the four years of high school, but somehow no one ever changes. There are far better things to watch than this unnecessary Fame, including High School Musical. At least the insufferable Disney series of movies isn’t trying to be something it’s not. The earnest characters of Fame may want viewers to remember their names, but this is one film that’s better left forgotten.

Rating: 1/4 stars

Starring: Kay Panabaker, Asher Book, Naturi Naughton

Directed By: Kevin Tancharoen

MPAA Rating: PG

Sarah B. Pilchick

Senior EDGE Writer

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...