Soccer

Soccer splits weekend matches

The UM football team wasn’t the only sports team on campus to face a ranked opponent over the weekend. In fact, the University of Miami women’s soccer team faced two. The squad split matches against No. 3 Boston College and No. 9 Maryland over the weekend.

Thursday night the Canes fell to Boston College as the orange and green could not muster any offense. Before the first half the Eagles scored twice in the span of four minutes. The first score came  in the 33rd minute off a great filtered ball. BC added an insurance goal in the 37th minute off a superb left foot shot that curved into the far post beyond Vikki Alonzo’s reach.

The Canes two closest threats came off the foot of junior Britney Steinbruch. The first opportunity occurred in the first half. She cut into the middle of the field and took an open shot just outside the box. Her second chance was in the second half off the left side with a left foot shot that was barely saved by the goalie.

Miami responded three days later with a 2-0 shutout of their own against Maryland.

Alonzo recorded her fifteenth shutout of her career. She broke the record for most shutouts in a UM career and she is only a sophomore.

“It feels great,” Alonzo said with a smile. “I couldn’t have done it without my teammate always backing me up.”

It was a memorable afternoon also for head coach Tricia Taliaferro. She recorded her 100th victory as a head coach. The win was emotional for Taliaferro because she beat her alma mater.

“Any win feels good. You always have that piece of you that wants to beat your alumni,” said Taliaferro who was a four year starter at Maryland from 1992-1995.

The first goal came in the 26th minute off a corner taken by freshman Megan Siebert. Fellow freshman Jordan Roseboro tapped it in for a goal.

The second goal came in the 62nd minute when senior Beverly Goebel fed the ball to Steinbruch in the middle of the field. After avoiding one tackle and creating space outside the box she shot the ball into the far netting beyond the reach of the Terrapin keeper.

The Canes next meet No. 5 Florida State, their third straight ranked opponent, at 1:00 p.m. on Oct 4th in Tallahassee.

Debora Rubi may be contacted at drubi@themiamihurricane.com.

Debora Rubi

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship of one th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...