Religious club hopes for coexistence

The solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict starts at the University of Miami for members of the emerging student organization JAM (Jews and Muslims).

JAM is an unofficial club–it has not been recognized by the Committee of Student Organizations–that was formed last year. While it is not a religious organization, it hopes to foster understanding between Jews and Muslims and coexistence for all human beings.

According to founding member Farah Dosani,  JAM was created to fill a gap.

“There was no coexistence program or organization on campus harboring the idea of living together in peace,” she said.

The club hosted a lecture Thursday night entitled “Bridging the Divide.”

The guest lecturers Kobi Skolnick, an Israeli-born Jew, and Aziz Abu Sarah, a Muslim born in Jerusalem, recounted their lives beginning with their childhoods that were rooted in radicalism and violence.

They then spoke of their transition to secularism and peace-making.

“When someone punches you in the face, you want to hit them back. It doesn’t mean if we don’t agree we need to be so quick to pull the trigger,” Sarah said.

By telling their stories, the two men, who now work together at the Institute for Conflict Analysis and Resolution at George Mason University, hope to foster understanding through conversation.

Nasser Al-Awadhi, a sophomore and member of the current affairs committee for JAM, agreed with the duo’s peaceful message.

“I think attempting to solve the conflict by force is just going to cause more problems,” he said.

Although JAM’s goals are ambitious for a 30-member organization, Sarah sees this as no reason for discouragement.

“If you want to put out a fire you fill a bucket with water. If you don’t have a bucket you grab a cup and if you don’t have a cup you grab a spoon,” Sarah said.

“This is the type of lecture that more people need to hear… After hearing this lecture you will want to do whatever you can to help spread peace both in the US and abroad,” Caitlin Liston, a senior, said.

Lindsay Perez

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...