Pi Kappa Phi renovates house

Pi Kappa Phi tried to get a fraternity house at the University of Miami in 1967.

They raised $10,000 but their membership was down, and their chapter was closed.

Consequently, they used the $10,000 to throw a going out bash.

Almost 40 years later Pi Kappa Phi regained its existence at the university last October. They have 45 members and a newly renovated house, once occupied by Kappa Sigma.

When Pi Kappa Phi President Pietro Bortoletto, a junior, found out that Kappa Sigma was no longer going to be on campus, he contacted alumni and put together a proposal to quickly move into the house they vacated.

“It was a chance to jump on a once in lifetime opportunity,” Bortoletto said.

The frat officially moved in this August, but not before two months of repairing and restoring.

“We spent the entire summer painting, doing electric working, renovating rooms and repairing doors,” Vortoletto said.

The house, built in 1947, now holds 17 Pi Kappa Phi members, and Chef Angel, who prepares lunch and dinner for the boys.

The house boasts a professional volleyball court, barbecue pit, girls’ bathroom, and a library.

During the house opening Sept. 3, the mayor of Coral Gables, Don Slesnick, declared it the official Pi Kappa Phi day in Coral Gables.

Pi Kappa Phi

Before the house and all its new members, recruitment last year brought in a group who had not always considered Greek Life.

“I liked the idea of being a founding father and being remembered at UM,” said Jordan Bregman, a junior and recruitment chair, said.

Vortoletto took interest in the fraternity after learning about their reputation and slogan, CLASS. The acronym stands for character, leadership, academics service and sportsmanship.

“I liked the concept of a well rounded person,” Bortoletto said.

Ian Hest, philanthropy chair, knows Pi Kappa Phi as frat with strong values and is working to make the fraternity unlike any other.

“We have the opportunity to change the way business is done,” Hest said.

Pi Kappa Phi is one of the few fraternities that own and operate its own service organization called Push for America, which spreads awareness and raises funds for people with disabilities.

“We will use the house as a launching pad for service events,” Bortoletto said.

During Push Week, the fraternity will host an empathy dinner, where its members will get a taste of what living with a disability feels like.

Elena Schmidt

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...