‘Bright Star’ stunning in simplicity

Bright Star, directed by Oscar nominee Jane Campion, is a deeply romantic, visually spectacular film that is stunning in its simplicity. Focusing on the little-known relationship between Romantic poet John Keats and Fanny Brawne, the love of his short life, Bright Star shines brighter than any other film this year.

The film could easily have been a dull episode of Masterpiece Theatre or an overwrought melodrama, but with Campion at the helm, the entire affair remains naturalistic and engrossing. The plot is akin to a Jane Austen novel, except for the tragic ending, as Keats’ premature death is the underlying current throughout the film.

Abbie Cornish’s beautifully understated performance as Fanny makes it clear to see how she served as the inspiration for Keats’ poetry. He, a penniless writer portrayed by Ben Whishaw, falls madly in love with his muse, and their love, though never consummated, is as passionate and visceral as any. Whishaw makes Keats’ poems sound dangerous and outrageously sexy. This is Regency-era love at its most vital and visceral. Both performances are full of vivacity and overwhelming elegance, and if there is any justice, this film will make Cornish a star.

Campion is a brilliant director, and she has managed to truly capture human idiosyncrasy. Exploring the illogical, irrational minds of two passionately in love young adults, she makes the passion and the sadness intensely palpable. Everything about Bright Star is stunning. Campion crafted a timeless romance that will engross and affect all those who watch it.

INFO BOX:

Rating: 4/4 stars

Starring: Abbie Cornish, Ben Whishaw

Directed By: Jane Campion

MPAA Rating: PG

Sarah B. Pilchick

Senior EDGE Writer

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...