Bomb squad legend dies at 78

Major Greg Terp of the Miami-Dade Police Department was working downtown when a sharp black Firebird rolled up to the curb in front of him, the license plate reading “Boom Boom.”

Terp, a rookie at the time, wondered aloud who was behind the wheel.

“That’s Brodie the bomb guy,” the other officers said, their eyes reverently following the bomb squad legend as he approached.

This wasn’t the last time Terp would hear the name Thomas Graham Brodie.

When he attended Hazardous Devices School in Huntsville, Ala., in 1982 he found that Brodie’s sphere of influence went beyond South Florida.

“As soon as people heard I was from Miami-Dade they’d ask me if I knew Tom Brodie,” Terp said. “They called him the father of the modern day bomb squad.”

Brodie served in the Miami-Dade Police Department from 1955 to 1983 after graduating from the University of Miami.

“He was a die-hard Miami Hurricane fan,” Steve Brodie, a lieutenant in the Miami-Dade Fire Department, said of his father who recently died at the age of 78 from complications related to Parkinson’s. “He never let us leave a football game before it was over, win or lose.”

The connection to the university did not end at sporting events. In April 1969, he investigated a pipe bomb that was set off in a dean’s office and dismantled a hazardous device found in student housing.

After just eight years with the Miami-Dade Police Department, Brodie became its youngest captain. He fearlessly worked hands-on with explosives, dismantling them with make-shift tools such as ballpoint pens or string.

Brodie once used a lawn mower and metal shield with two poles attached to it to ride onto a device to dismantle it.

Today the Miami-Dade Police Department has forklift-like machines strong enough to lift cars and trucks equipped with bomb-disposal chambers based on Brodie’s inventions.

He was also one of the driving forces for the creation of Hazardous Devices School, which trains bomb experts from around the country to safely disarm explosives.

Brodie died on Aug. 13. He leaves behind three children, six grandchildren, and one great-grandchild. Donations can be made in his memory to the Police Officers Assistance Trust, 1030 NW 111 Ave. Suite 232, Miami, FL 33172.

Nina Ruggiero

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...