99 percent warned as part of ENN test

Subhead: 79,000 messages sent out as part of ENN test

Last Thursday, the University of Miami conducted its third annual, full-scale test of its Emergency Notification Network. Students received cell phone and e-mail alerts as part of this assessment.

This year, the test involved an undisclosed activation date and time intended to create a more realistic test.

According to the preliminary data from the UM Police Department, the test resulted in over 79,000 e-mails, text messages, and phone calls to all the members registered in the system.

Approximately 49 percent of the participants received at least one alert within the first 10 minutes, and 99 percent within the first 20 minutes.

“It’s the cellular technology that limits us from notifying everyone immediately,” Chief of Police David Rivero said. “But everyone should receive a notification within 15 to 20 minutes.”

He also said that in a real situation, the message will identify the type of emergency the university is experiencing and the actions the community needs to take to remain safe.

“I think every time you do these tests, you learn something new, particularly in light of recent events,” vice president for student affairs Patricia A. Whitely said. “People really have to pay attention to what the message says and make sure they follow it.”

Although there was a small amount of lag time between the actual ENN activation time, 12:15 p.m., and when some participants received their first alert, most students felt satisfied with the effectiveness of the system.

“It’s great because everyone checks their phones and texting is the fastest way to get to the greatest amount of people–everyone would know that there is an emergency,” junior Varsha Sinha said.

To ensure delivery of future ENN messages in case of a real emergency, register or update your contact information on myUM.

Heather Carney

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...