SigEp chapter wins national award

Hard work in and out of the classroom has earned the University of Miami’s Sigma Phi Epsilon chapter a Golden Buchanan Cup from its national fraternity.

The Buchanan Cup is an outstanding chapter award indicative of the highest level of undergraduate achievement in Sigma Phi Epsilon.

The “Buc Cup” is awarded to those chapters considered truly exceptional in all areas of operations including manpower, academics, member development, finances and volunteers.

The Golden Buchanan Cup is given to a SigEp chapter that has won a Buchanan Cup five times in a row.

“We are very honored to win this award, and we only hope to continue to thrive,” said Tyler Wilchek, president of UM’s Sigma Phi Epsilon chapter.

The brothers of Sigma Phi Epsilon have fed the homeless, landscaped lawns, painted a basketball court at Bay Point School in Miami, served on the executive board for Greek Week, and been chair and executive board members for Gandhi Day, the largest community service event at UM.

Three brothers are members of the President’s 100, a group that gives tours of the university, and five brothers are teaching assistants in the business school. Several alumni have been members of the Iron Arrow and in the last 10 years two student body presidents have come from SigEp.

“You’ll find SigEps in almost every aspect of campus,” said Matt Reed, a junior and SigEp member.

The Golden Buchanan Cup was awarded during Conclave, the national gathering of SigEps in Orlando in August. With over 250 chapters, SigEp is the largest undergraduate fraternity in the nation.

The UM chapter of the fraternity was created only 10 years ago.

“The biggest thing about this chapter is that they don’t seem to be in it for recognition,” said Tony Lake, associate dean of students. “They seem to just be doing their thing and when they are recognized; their achievements are well deserved.”

Rebecca Zimmer

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The season-opening, three-day Miami Fall Invite wrapped up Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center a ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...