Shalala addresses Faculty Senate

University of Miami President Donna E. Shalala delivered an address yesterday to the Faculty Senate in what has now become a yearly tradition.

After a brief presentation conducted in unison with Provost Thomas J. LeBlanc, Shalala fielded questions from the attendees. For the first time, the meeting was webcasted live by UMTV.

“I’m never off the record. I’m very happy to have this opportunity,” Shalala said of the option to address online viewers as well as the senators.

Shalala and LeBlanc’s joint address centered on the financial situation facing UM. They emphasized that while the university continues to be in a cash crunch, administrators do not expect the same level of uncertainty for this fiscal years as compared to the previous year.

After the downturn of the economy in November 2008, the university implemented expenditure controls and eliminated every optional program. They also instituted a very conservative budget for this year that required a seven-percent cut to every school.

“The fact that we moved very quickly had a huge impact last year and allowed us to weather the storm,” LeBlanc said.

He said that the university had $1.8 billion invested through various vehicles last year which lost a combined $450 million in investments and endowments.

LeBlanc added that the base-line funding has been permanently reduced and that it will take some time to raise it back to where it was.

After the presentation, Shalala and LeBlanc answered questions for close to an hour that ranged from student jobs to the financial situation at Jackson Memorial Hospital.

Lila Albizu

Assistant News Editor

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The global exploration, media, and education company will kick off a national campaign at UM to offe ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...

The University of Miami volleyball team is set to host Clemson and Georgia Tech in the first of four ...

Four members of the Miami women's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Cham ...