President Shalala hosts town halls on health care reform

University of Miami President Donna E. Shalala, former secretary of health and human services for the Clinton Administration, has hosted a number of campus meetings at the residence halls for students to discuss the current debate on health care reform.

The latest meeting was on Monday at Eaton Residential College. Shalala discussed the current state of health care and its costs.

Over 80 percent of the uninsured are employed, and people without insurance often wait to see a doctor until absolutely necessary, said Shalala. This causes an increase in costs, since worsening conditions require more drastic steps for treatment.

Shalala attributed a large part of the problem to the current fee structure, which gives doctors incentive to increase the number of diagnostic procedures. Fee service is when a doctor receives payment for each test they perform.

When Shalala went to the University of Miami Hospital for an ankle injury, she suggested a procedure to her doctor that saved money and would get her home faster.

“Doctors shudder when I walk into our hospital, since they know I’m going to find ways to cut costs,” she said.

Shalala stressed the importance of health care reform by expressing her belief that there will soon be legislation from Washington addressing the issue.

“This is an idea whose time has come,” she said. “The risk is creating a negative coalition; a coalition of people all agreed on what is wrong with the bill.”

Sophomore Vlad Soare found the meeting to be very productive and Shalala’s remarks on fee service important.

“I thought it was interesting to note how some people will try to see a specialist without first seeing a general practitioner,” he said.

Mason Powell

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that global pressures are makin ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...