Digital equipment offered to students

The Digital Media Services at Richter Library gives University of Miami students access to digital equipment through an online reservation system.

This idea was part of UM’s accreditation plan submitted to the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools in 2008.

Students reserve equipment by registering their e-mails and choosing the times they would like to pick it up. The new equipment includes a Canon G10 digital camera kit, a Canon camcorder kit, a studio lighting kit and two microphone kits.

Almost two months after beginning to offer these services, not many students have taken advantage of the state-of-the-art equipment, according to records kept by the online service.

Bryanna Herzog, the DMS lab manager, worries students are giving up an opportunity to learn about technology that could help in school and later careers. Getting students to turn some assignments and projects into multimedia learning opportunities is not as simple as expected.

“It’s a matter of trying to figure out how to incorporate the two,” she said. “Some faculty are already asking students to make DVDs instead of term papers.”

Herzog attributes students’ reluctance in using the lab to lack of promotion.

Ryan Quigtar, a sophomore, does not use the lab because he does not know much about multimedia software and equipment.

Herzog does not think this is a valid excuse.

“We’ve had students come in and not know how to make video projects,” Herzog said. “We are a lab where we also help you how to use software and equipment.”

Anthony Smith, director of Digital Initiatives and Services, thinks it will take more time for students to catch on to the idea, as the new equipment is part of a pilot project for the library. One big expectation is that faculty members who use multimedia in their classrooms will include the lab in their curriculum.

“What is most important is to empower people to express themselves in creative ways,” Smith said.

Reservations for the DMS lab can be made at www.library.miami.edu/services/medialab.

Jasmine Henderson

Contributing Columnist

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...