‘The September Issue’ a slight look at publishing behemoth

For being centered on the creation of a magazine that runs over 600 pages at its peak, The September Issue feels underworked. Focused on the production of Vogue‘s biggest issue of the year, it never digs too deep into the publishing world – which, at the time of filming, was just before the big journalism collapse of 2008 – nor does it really examine the woman behind the giant sunglasses, editor (or editrix, as she’s been called) Anna Wintour.

“You’re the most powerful woman in the United States,” says one colleague of Wintour’s, but the editor, probably still smarting from 2005’s roman à clef The Devil Wears Prada, remains aloof and cold throughout the movie.

Warmth is shown periodically, most notably in scenes with her daughter, but Wintour has taken great care to humanize herself only slightly. She would not be as powerful or as feared if other people thought she was one of them. The other editors, each powerful in their own right, are almost sycophants in their devotion to Wintour.

The real star of the film is Grace Coddington, Vogue creative director and former model. Coddington, whom Wintour sees as both an adversary and a peer, brings a welcome levity to the film despite seeing her ideas and shoots frequently scrapped.

The most affecting moments involve Coddington subtly battling with Wintour via assistants and other editors; Wintour, for the first time, seems almost human when she discusses her political-activist family’s low opinion of her work in fashion.

The September Issue is not groundbreaking, but for fans of journalism, fashion, or travel narratives, it’s certainly worth the price of admission.

Rating: 2.5/4 stars

Starring: Anna Wintour, Grace Coddington, André Leon Talley

Directed By: R.J. Cutler

MPAA Rating: PG-13

Sarah B. Pilchick

Senior EDGE Writer

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...