‘Post Grad’ topical, funny, realistically terrifying

Post Grad looks like it should be stupid. Its marketing team has done nothing to emphasize the dark humor of its story, nor is its topicality to college students ever mentioned in its advertisements. Post Grad is not the happy tale of what happened to Rory Gilmore after she graduated from Yale; rather, it’s every student’s worst nightmare. Four years of college and plenty of knowledge have earned her a useless degree and a ticket back to mom and dad’s house.

Alexis Bledel, Rory of TV’s dearly departed Gilmore Girls, portrays Ryden, a recent college graduate who did everything right yet still can’t find a job after school. Her classmates all find gainful employment with Charles Schwab or publishing houses while Ryden, the patron saint of overachievers everywhere, moves back home with her eccentric family. No one would complain if their parents were Michael Keaton or Jane Lynch or if grandma was Carol Burnett. Also, what’s so bad about having a painfully hot neighbor like Love Actually’s resident dreamboat Rodrigo Santoro? Not a thing.

Bledel, who has been sorely missed since Gilmore ended, is likable and relatable as Ryden, and Keaton, Lynch, and Burnett are as offbeat and eccentric as ever. Santoro doesn’t do much acting, rather, he smolders, but no one would ever complain about such a thing.

Post Grad could do without its moralizing life lessons, but it’s certainly worth your time. Don’t judge a film by its bubblegum-pink poster.

Rating: 3/4 stars

Starring: Alexis Bledel, Michael Keaton, Jane Lynch

Directed By: Vicky Jenson

MPAA Rating: PG-13

Sarah B. Pilchick

Senior EDGE Writer

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...