Flaunt those dance skills at the 80s Glow Party

Bust out those legwarmers, headbands, spandex and high-tops because Canes Night Live will host an 80s glow party at the Rathskeller this Friday.

Canes Night Live is the branch of Hurricane Productions (HP) which determines late night programming.

The event is co-sponsored by a wide range of UM organizations, such as Panhellenic Association, National Pan-Hellenic Council, Inc., Latino Greek Council, Interfraternity Council, United Black Students, Federación de Estudiantes Cubanos, Association of Commuter Students, Rathskeller, Rathskeller Advisory Board, KAOS and Hurricane Productions.

“We are including all of the Greek councils and big organizations to create a buzz around campus and bring all types of people to the event,” Tierra Fair, a junior and on-campus liaison for Canes Night Live, said.

There will be a DJ spinning a blend of popular tunes and hits from the 80s. Expect neon decor to accompany the black lights that will illuminate the dance floor.  Giveaways will include glow sticks, glow-in-the-dark necklaces, bracelets and shutter shades to complete everyone’s look.

Attendees are in for a “fresh” treat.

KAOS, a co-ed hip-hop club at UM, will be teaching people how to “jerk,” an energetic street dance done to the single “You’re a Jerk” by the New Boyz.  CDs will be handed out at the event to promote their new album, “Skinny Jeanz and a Mic,” produced by Warner Brothers Records and Asylum Records.

Jerkin’ is an urban cultural movement out of Los Angeles now rapidly sweeping both the east and west coasts.

Mark Simek, a junior and concerts marketing co-chair for HP, hopes to spread the craze further throughout Miami.

“Jerkin’ not only represents a style of dance, but it’s also a genre of music, a bold fashion statement, and an all-around way of life,” Simek said.

Following the dance lesson, people can compete in a dance contest to determine who has mastered jerkin’ the best.  The winner will receive a signed New Boyz poster, a copy of their new album, a New Boyz T-Shirt, and other apparel and accessories.

“Winning the dance battle will definitely take personality and commitment,” Lexi Heller, a sophomore and president of KAOS said. “If you don’t  give it all you’ve got, it just doesn’t look right.”

Michelle Pena, chair of Canes Night Live, anticipates a high turnout due to the diversity of the event.

“We hope to draw a huge crowd to the party excited to have fun and enjoy themselves on campus,” Pena said.  “CNL works hard to plan high quality entertainment free for students.”

If you go:

What: 80s Glow Party

Who: Hosted by Canes Night Live with KAOS

When: Friday from10:30 p.m. – 2:00 a.m.

Where: The Rat

Cost: Free