V's Take

Dear V: How do I give people a heads up on the truth?

I just found out through a couple of my friends that there is a very colorful rumor circulating about me.  Apparently, one of my guy friends is telling people that I gave him head in the bathroom of Land Shark Stadium during a Marlins game.  Needless to say, this isn’t true!  We’ve never even hooked up!  What can I do to set the record straight?

-Appalled

Dear Appalled,

This is all very high school, don’t you think?  Fortunately, the only person in this scenario acting like a child is this guy (I won’t call him your friend) with the vivid imagination.  Aside from him, people are often more discerning than you give them credit for.

Picture it this way: If he had approached you saying that a girl fellated him at a baseball game, wouldn’t you raise an eyebrow?

Most people realize that if a dude is gallivanting around telling tall tales of his sexual exploits, something’s up.  There must be some reason as to why he feels the need to engage in this behavior.

If anything, it is more of a reflection on him—not you.

You are undoubtedly above this pettiness.  If people ask you questions, calmly deny the allegations.  The more fervently you lash out in your defense, the more embarrassed and less sure of yourself you will seem.   After all, you have nothing to be embarrassed about.  It is your word against his.

And allow me to make myself clear: he is not your friend!

This creative young man has shown you nothing but disrespect through his actions.  No person, in the right mind, would ever jeopardize a friend’s reputation in an attempt to enhance his own.  Never.  Stay away from this one.

Just play it cool.  If he approaches to ask why you are avoiding him, give him a simple explanation, and nothing more.

As per the usual in high school, gossip evolves.  Rumors blow over.  This fib (and this guy) will be out of your hair before you can say, “Hey, wanna go to the men’s room?”

Only this time, we’re all adults, so karma will likely bite him in the you-know-what in a timely manner.

Best of luck!

Advice Columnist

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...