Who doesn’t love Ice Cream?

South Florida is widely recognized as a global hot spot for rap and Latin music. However, the same cannot be said about its oft-ignored rock scene. Fort Lauderdale band Ice Cream is trying to change that with their unique new sound.

“We’re trying to create our own genre,” guitarist and composer Tomas Kennedy said. And what genre would that be? “Glam-goth,” Kennedy said.

Ice Cream is almost the complete antithesis of their band. The name Ice Cream conjures images of a bubbly synth-pop 80s band, instead of the lo-fi and fuzzy sound they actually have. So why would they choose the name Ice Cream?

“One day I was walking home…and I said, ‘Jesus I need a band name’ and the first thought that occurred to me was ‘I want some ice cream’,” lead singer Justin Rivers said. At this point an ice cream truck drove by and inspired the name.

Ice Cream has recorded four songs and is currently recording two more. Kennedy’s hypnotic chord progressions and Joel Gutman’s merciless drumming drive their first song, “When Hell Swallows the Kids.” At the halfway mark, the song descends into a full on psychedelic frenzy.

It’s at this point that MPC (a type of drum machine) player Roy Hunter and bassist Alex Lashley excel. Lashley leads the way with a bouncy bass line that keeps the track strangely danceable. Hunter follows with some incredibly eerie sci-fi effects, the likes of which have rarely been heard before in rock music.

A scene in “Poltergeist” in which a hole in a wall attempts to eat two children inspired Rivers’ catchy lyrics. “I wanted it to be a catchy song people could sing to, but then you’d think ‘oh my god, what am I singing to?’”

Although they’ve only been together for around three months, Ice Cream has already garnered a strong following on their Web site, www.myspace.com/icecreamicecreamicecream.

Among these followers is acclaimed underground rapper Dr. Octagon.

“Everybody loves Ice Cream,” Gutman said. It’s true in all contexts.

Catch Ice Cream playing at the Death to the Sun Festival this Saturday.

Thomas Prieto

Contributing Columnist

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...