Football

UM vs. GT Report Card

Quarterbacks: A+

Let the Heisman chatter begin. Jacory Harris was remarkable and reminded Hurricanes fans why the future is now. We were 20-for-25 with 270 yards passing while tossing three touchdowns. He connected with nine different receivers and thrived in Mark Whipple’s creative offense.

Running Backs: A –

UM as a team ran for 184 yards averaging 4.7 yards per carry. Graig Cooper led all backs with 93 yards on 17 attempts.

Wide Receivers/Tight Ends: A +

Aldaris Johnson did not play due to injury, but Laron Byrd and Travis Benjamin stepped up. The sophomores combined for eight catches and 112 yards. Tight ends Dedrick Epps and Jimmy Graham hauled in 13- and 14-yard TD receptions respectively. The catch was Graham’s first career reception.

Offensive Line: A +

The offensive line was flawless. Harris had ample amount of time in the pocket and was not sacked once. Kudos to Matt Pipho for locking down GT’s lethal pass rusher Derrick Morgan the entire night.

Defensive Line: A +

After giving up 472 yards last year, the Canes gave up only 95 yards on the ground to the Ramblin’ Wreck. UM only surrendered 35 rushing yards after the first quarter. A tremendous job by the defensive line as it was discipline and played assignment football. The addition of Eric Moncur paid dividends.

Linebackers: A

Colin McCarthy did not start the game because his helmet was broken but that did not stop him from having an outstanding football game. He and Sean Spence never bit on GT’s trickery and made tackles to limit long runs. Darryl Sharpton had a game-high eight tackles.

Secondary:  B –

Vaughn Telemaque committed an unnecessary pass interference penalty on 4th and 11 to prolong a Yellow Jacket drive. Sam Shields was beat on a couple of deep pass plays. Randy Phillips was a positive recording five tackles.

Special Teams: D

The only reason it did not fail was because of Jordan Futch’s YouTube-worthy hit on the GT player. Alex Uribe kicked two balls out of bounds to give Tech the ball at the 40. Matt Bosher missed two kicks inside the 35-yard line. Coming into Thursday’s game Bosher had missed two kicks his entire career.

Coaching: A +

An outstanding job by Randy Shannon, John Lovett and Mark Whipple. They executed their game plan perfectly. Now they must keep the team focused and hungry. The Canes cannot be complacent.

Justin Antweil may be contacted jantweil@themiamihurricane.com

Justin Antweil

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...