Football

The U is back in the top 10

For the first time since December 2005, the University of Miami Hurricanes football team is ranked in the top 10. After shining in the national spotlight for the second time in as many games, the Hurricanes propelled themselves 11 spots in the rankings. The Associated Press poll tabbed the orange and green No. 9 in the nation.

Jacory Harris has established himself as a legitimate Heisman Trophy candidate as he has combined to throw 656 yards and five touchdowns against two top-20 teams.

“There’s a lot of people in the community that are praising us now and they are hyping us up,” Harris said. “But this team isn’t taking anything to the head. We are very humble. We understand we have other teams at hand we have to beat. In order to stay undefeated you have to win the next game.”

The swagger and tenacity is back and head coach Randy Shannon’s No. 1-ranked 2008 recruiting class has finally come to fruition. After the highly regarded freshmen got their feet wet last year, the sophomore studs are starring on the field, not just in the computer rankings.

The Canes came into the year unranked while facing a daunting first four games. Now, UM is ranked higher than its opponents. The Hurricanes face No. 11 Virginia Tech on Saturday in Blacksburg, Va., and the following week No. 10 Oklahoma who will most likely be without reigning Heisman Trophy winner Sam Bradford.

Justin Antweil may be contacted at jantweil@themiamihurricane.com.

Justin Antweil

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team will begin her fall campaign Thursday a ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...