The ‘Lonely Stoner’ shows he’s no kid in debut

Ever since Kid Cudi released the single “Day n’ Nite,” very few artists have created such a buzz. With his debut album Man On the Moon – The End of Day, Cudi proves he is much more than just hype.

On “Soundtrack to My Life,” Kudi sings about how he’s “got some issues that nobody can see, and all of these emotions are pouring out of me…this is the soundtrack to my life.” The album really is a soundtrack to his life: a deep, introspective story detailing Cudi’s inner struggles both in the present and as a child.

While most of the album is sad and gloomy, Cudi is at his best when he’s rapping/singing on uptempo songs (and yes, Cudi can actually sing). The infectious upbeat track “Enter Galactic (Love Connection, Pt. 1)” has Cudi singing about lust and will make listeners want to get up and dance.

Also, the album’s diverse production, ranging from Kanye West to electronic duo Ratatat, is stellar.

Whereas most hip-hop albums today feature a few good tracks sprinkled among mostly filler, Cudi provides an eclectic debut with a cohesive narrative. And in today’s individualistic society everyone has enough “lonely stoner” in them to relate to Cudi’s debut.

Rating: 3.5/4 Stars

Release Date:  Sept. 15

Label:  Dream On/G.O.O.D Music/Universal Motown

Production:  Kanye West (exec.), Kid Cudi, Plain Pat, and Emile Haynie (co-execs.), Sylvia Rhone (co-exec.), Patrick Reynolds, Free School, Jeff Bhasker, Dot Da Genius, Matt Friedman of ILLFONICS, Ratatat, Crada

Ben Wexler

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...