Sports Briefs

Women’s Tennis

The Hurricanes concluded day two of the Georgia Tech Invitational with three singles wins and two doubles wins at the Bill Moore Tennis Center in Atlanta, Ga., on Saturday. On day one, the sixth-ranked senior Laura Vallverdu defeated the second-ranked Chelsey Gullickson, helping the Hurricanes end with six singles wins and two doubles wins.

Men’s Tennis

On Saturday, senior David Simon defeated two separate opponents to improve to a 3-0 singles record as part of the University of Illinois’ Olympia Fields Country Club Fighting Illini Invitational.  Senior Hector Nieto split two games, making his record 2-1.

Women’s Soccer

On Friday, the Hurricanes (5-3-0) defeated the Ole Miss Rebels (5-2-0) Friday night at Cobb Stadium with a 2-0 score. Juniors Barbara Blocker and Brittney Macdonald scored the two goals of the night for Miami.  Sophomore keeper Vikki Alonzo tied the Hurricanes’ all-time career mark of 14 shutouts and made six saves throughout the night.

Cross Country

The men’s and women’s team traveled to Gainesville, Fla., to compete in the  Mountain Dew Invitational where both teams placed in impressive top-10 finishes.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com

Ramon Galiana

News Editor

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...