Football

Lov-ing the defense

What a difference a year, a coach and veteran players make.

After allowing 472 rushing yards in last year’s meeting, Miami allowed just 95 yards on the ground, and only 35 yards after the first quarter.

“Our focus all week was tackle, tackle, tackle,” said sophomore cornerback Brandon Harris, who had four tackles and three pass deflections. “We worked our tails off to make sure we tackled and it all paid off. We took that loss personally last year.”

First-year defensive coordinator John Lovett and head coach Randy Shannon pulled out all the stops in preparing for the game. During practice, they had live cut block drills where defensive players weren’t allowed to wear pads and had to shed blocks with their hands and stay on their feet. At least one series every practice Shannon ran quarterback for the scout team.

“Coach Lovett did a great job with the defensive game plan,” Shannon said. “He didn’t want guys on the ground being chopped, and we worked on that all week long. Those things made a big difference. We were chasing the football.”

Reigning ACC player of the year, Jonathan Dwyer, who had 128 rushing yards last year, was completely mantled every time he touched the ball finishing the game with five carries for seven yards. Dwyer didn’t even take a single snap in the second half as he was forced to leave with a shoulder injury.

“We were going at Dwyer every play,” Harris said. “We weren’t going to let 21 run on us.”

Last year the Hurricanes were without senior captain Randy Phillips, junior linebacker Colin McCarthy, senior defensive end Eric Moncur and redshirt freshman safety Vaughn Telemaque. All received significant playing time last Thursday night.

Their impact was phenomenal. Even freshman defensive end Olivier Vernon got in the mix and dominated the right side with three tackles for a loss and half a sack. The five combined for 18 tackles and kept Georgia Tech from breaking any long runs.

Also, with last year’s young defensive players getting older and gaining more experience definitely benefited the Hurricanes. Miami had 10 tackles for a loss.

“You look at the guys now, they’re a lot older,” Shannon said. “Last year they ran up field, were taking too many chances. It was a tremendous job in the run game from last year. That was the difference in the game.”

The turning point of the game occurred on the GT’s opening drive. UM held the Yellow Jackets to just three points despite the fact they quickly marched in the red zone.

“Early in the game we kept on tackling, kept hitting the quarterback, the running back,” McCarthy said. “They felt it. That’s what we wanted to do, make sure we kept hitting them, pounding them and wear them out.”

Lelan LeDoux may be contacted at lledoux@themiamihurricane.com

Lelan LeDoux

Contributing EDGE Writer

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The global exploration, media, and education company will kick off a national campaign at UM to offe ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...

The University of Miami volleyball team is set to host Clemson and Georgia Tech in the first of four ...

Four members of the Miami women's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Cham ...