Bill Cosford Cinema brings Milan opera to Miami

Interested in seeing an opera, but not sure where to start? Through Dec. 20 and in collaboration with Emerging Pictures, the University of Miami’s School of Communication will bring the sweet songs and sights from Milan’s La Scala Theatre to the University of Miami’s Bill Cosford Cinema by means of eight opera broadcasts filmed in high-definition. This semester kicked off the season with Giuseppe Verdi’s thrilling dramatic Italian opera La Traviata.

Blyth Daylong, the Assistant Dean for Operations and Scheduling in the School of Communication, said, “Emerging Pictures provides content to us that we show at the Cosford. One of the things they started doing was partner with a number of TV stations and opera companies in Europe to make these broadcasts available. When things become available to us, we try to show as much variety as we can.”

La Traviata, which was shown the weekend of Sept. 12, told the tragic tale of Violetta Valéry and her love with Alfredo Germont, entwining issues of passionate love and family honor together in a mix of tragedy even more heart-wrenching than most Italian operas.

“I was really happy with the production of La Traviata,” said David Tayloe, a graduate student studying vocal performance. “Opera is still a live performance-based art form, so to see it on the screen brings it to life when we are so far away from the venue,” he said.

The series includes comedic and dramatic operas including Giacomo Puccini’s La Bohème, Richard Wagner’s Das Rheingold and Die Walküre, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart’s Don Giovanni and Così fan Tutte, Claudio Monteverdi’s L’Orfeo and Verdi’s Don Carlo.

Many students are looking forward to the diverse selection of operas chosen for the season, including Shawn Mlynek, a graduate student studying vocal performance. “The selections give the audience a comprehensive look at the history of opera by showing examples from the different eras,” he said. “I think that people’s conception of opera is changing from the stereotypical fat singer wearing horns on her head to the new generation of true singing actors.”

Alan Johnson, the director of the Frost Opera Theatre, said, “These screenings of opera…have exceeded everyone’s expectations in terms of audience and interest.”

Carey Goldenberg may be contacted at cgoldenberg@themiamihurricane.com.

If You Go:

What: Opera series

When: Now through December

Next up: La Bohème Sept. 25 -27

$12 for all

Where: Bill Cosford Cinema

Cost: General Admission- $20

Seniors, UM Employees, UM Alumni & Non-UM Students – $18

UM Students- Free

Must have ID for discounted prices.

Carey Goldenberg

Senior EDGE Writer

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...