Our Opinion: “Buzzin” iPhone app dangerous

“Buzzin,” a new iPhone application created by Minot Applications, could put drivers nationwide at risk. Using GPS and Google Map technology, it provides users with detailed reports and exact locations of DUI checkpoints within a 20-mile radius.  The application also generates lists of nearby cab companies, based on the user’s location. “Buzzin” is currently undergoing Apple’s testing and approval process.

Minot Applications claims their product will help to prevent drunk driving by deterring consumers with information about nearby DUI checkpoints. However, in reality, this program will have the opposite effect.

Listing the exact location of a DUI checkpoint on an interactive map would simply provide users with alternate routes to avoid it. If a user was already determined to drive drunk, seeing a checkpoint appear on their iPhone would not stop them. The promotion of drunk driving is inherently implied in “Buzzin.”

The only beneficial aspect of this application is the cab-listing feature, though it will go unused by the “Buzzin’s” target audience. Users will not feel the need to call a taxi, and will drive regardless. In other circumstances a listing of nearby cab companies would be helpful, especially for students without cars on campus.  However, within “Buzzin,” it mainly serves as a guise for an application promoting recklessness.

Though “Buzzin” is not illegal, it provides a service to an undeserving demographic.  Drunk driving should not be made more convenient.  Instead of reducing the number of inebriated drivers, “Buzzin” could actually cause an increase, leading to potential accidents and dangerous conditions.

Hopefully Apple does not approve this inappropriate application. If sold in the iTunes store, Apple could not only damage their reputation but also put their customers at great risk. This irresponsible application should be banned.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

What do you think about “Buzzin”? Answer our poll on the right-hand sidebar of themiamihurricane.com homepage!

What do you about the "Buzzin" iPhone application?

• Awesome, I would totally use it! (46%, 23 Votes)
  • Dangerous and shouldn't be approved by Apple. (44%, 22 Votes)
  • Unsure. (10%, 5 Votes)

Total Voters: 50

Polls Archive

Loading ... Loading ...

Editorial Board

University of Miami religious studies professor Catherine Newell weighs in on some of the big questi ...

NASA wants to return humans to the moon by 2024. A University of Miami engineering graduate is part ...

University of Miami student Kayla Crews has always been fascinated with Japan and its culture. Parti ...

School of Communication senior Leah Brown attended Cannes Lions Festival, one of the largest annual ...

A University of Miami engineering faculty member discusses how California’s infrastructure fared dur ...

Two Miami Hurricanes were among those players selected to the preseason watch list for the 25th annu ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday its 2018-19 academic honor roll and 177 University o ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...

Claudia De Antonio, Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova were each selected as WGCA All-American Sc ...