Our Opinion: “Buzzin” iPhone app dangerous

“Buzzin,” a new iPhone application created by Minot Applications, could put drivers nationwide at risk. Using GPS and Google Map technology, it provides users with detailed reports and exact locations of DUI checkpoints within a 20-mile radius.  The application also generates lists of nearby cab companies, based on the user’s location. “Buzzin” is currently undergoing Apple’s testing and approval process.

Minot Applications claims their product will help to prevent drunk driving by deterring consumers with information about nearby DUI checkpoints. However, in reality, this program will have the opposite effect.

Listing the exact location of a DUI checkpoint on an interactive map would simply provide users with alternate routes to avoid it. If a user was already determined to drive drunk, seeing a checkpoint appear on their iPhone would not stop them. The promotion of drunk driving is inherently implied in “Buzzin.”

The only beneficial aspect of this application is the cab-listing feature, though it will go unused by the “Buzzin’s” target audience. Users will not feel the need to call a taxi, and will drive regardless. In other circumstances a listing of nearby cab companies would be helpful, especially for students without cars on campus.  However, within “Buzzin,” it mainly serves as a guise for an application promoting recklessness.

Though “Buzzin” is not illegal, it provides a service to an undeserving demographic.  Drunk driving should not be made more convenient.  Instead of reducing the number of inebriated drivers, “Buzzin” could actually cause an increase, leading to potential accidents and dangerous conditions.

Hopefully Apple does not approve this inappropriate application. If sold in the iTunes store, Apple could not only damage their reputation but also put their customers at great risk. This irresponsible application should be banned.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

What do you think about “Buzzin”? Answer our poll on the right-hand sidebar of themiamihurricane.com homepage!

What do you about the "Buzzin" iPhone application?

• Awesome, I would totally use it! (46%, 23 Votes)
  • Dangerous and shouldn't be approved by Apple. (44%, 22 Votes)
  • Unsure. (10%, 5 Votes)

Total Voters: 50

Polls Archive

Loading ... Loading ...

Editorial Board

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...