Sign-up deadline for Gandhi Day approaches

At 9 a.m. on Saturday, Sept. 26, roughly 1,200 University of Miami students are expected to abandon their normal schedules – not for a football game or a day at South Beach, but to be a part of something bigger than themselves.

The National Gandhi Day of Service, sponsored by the Butler Center for Service and Leadership, is the single largest service day on campus. It contributes over 4,000 man hours to more than 40 different volunteer groups.

“It ranges from going to nursing homes, to beautification projects, to animal shelters,” said Gandhi Day co-chair Billy Fuchsman. “We didn’t want to focus on only one aspect of charity because Gandhi’s message was to be the change you wish to see in the world, and we want to see a lot of change.”

Fellow co-chair Rachel Libby, who has also volunteered for past Gandhi Days, has seen the event’s effect on students firsthand.

“The scope of the day is so cool,” Libby said. “You have 1,200 college students all going out to a community that has always supported us and really give back to them.”

Those wishing to volunteer must sign up at www.miami.edu/gandhiday before Sept. 18, although some walk-ins will be allowed. All additional information for the event can be found at their Web site or by contacting them at umgandhiday@gmail.com.

Austen Gregerson

Staff Columnist

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...