V's Take

Dear V: I wish she’d spoil me as much she does her cats

To say that my girlfriend is a cat person would be an understatement.  She is obsessed.  She has three of them, and they are the center of her world.  She is constantly spoiling them and showering them with affection.  What’s even worse is the fact that she insists that it is rude to the cats to kick them off the bed before we have sex.  I’m seriously weirded out by this.  I want to be in a relationship with my girlfriend—not her kitties.  Is there any way to do this?

Sincerely,
More of a dog person

Dear Dog Person,

There is no such thing as a perfect relationship.  No two people will ever see eye-to-eye 100% of the time.  This is why you need to ask yourself if this relationship is worth the compromise.

You never mentioned whether or not you approached your girlfriend on this issue.  Have you told her that having too many pussies in the bedroom makes you a tad uncomfortable?

Figuring out how flexible both of you are willing to be in this situation is a good indicator of the success of your relationship.  Clearly, something has to change.  The question is what.

Perhaps you might be willing to please the cats so that your girlfriend can’t get upset over not maintaining their high quality of living.  Sprinkle some catnip in the hallway so that they don’t want to be in the bedroom.  Surprise her and the felines with a nice cat castle so that they can have a cozy place to enjoy their time, while you and your girlfriend have the same.

If you and your girlfriend can’t find a place to meet in the middle, and she insists that the cats are entitled to their spot in your love nest, you might want to consider the fact that you may have a weirdo on your hands.

You owe it to yourself to figure out the qualities you look for in a woman.  Does “potentially unhealthy obsession with her feline friends” appear on your list?  If not, the next move is up to you.

Best of luck!

Advice Columnist

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...