Clinton Global Initiative coming to the U

GI U builds on the successful model of the Clinton Global Initiative Annual Meeting, now in its sixth year, to engage college students and administrators to make commitments to address global issues with practical and innovative solutions. Ê

If actions speak louder than words, former U.S. President Bill Clinton will be causing a racket at the University of Miami this spring.

During his time in the White House, Clinton saw countless global issues discussed but not acted upon. He created the Clinton Global Initiative (CGI) in 2005 to change this.

CGI brings together people of different cultures and professions to form tangible plans for solving the problems they face around the world.

Clinton Global Initiative University (CGI U), a branch of CGI that gets college students involved, will meet at UM from Apr. 16 to 18.

“We are thrilled for our students,” UM President Donna Shalala said. “This is a wonderful opportunity to host a world class conference and show off our campus and community. I personally asked President Clinton to bring the Clinton Global Initiative U to the U.”

CGI U Director Keisha Senter said that Shalala’s commitment to service as well as the involved, energetic student body made UM an ideal site for this year’s meeting.

“Miami is such an international city and there is such a diverse group of nationalities represented on campus,” Senter said. “This setting will undoubtedly bring an interesting new component to the discussion of global issues.”

Problems at home will be acted upon as well. CGI U will run a service project in the Miami community.

“Our goal is to give young people from all over the world the tools and knowledge they will need to make a difference locally and internationally,” Senter said. “We won’t just talk about it; we’ll make it happen through service.”

CGI U focuses on education, energy and climate change, global health, peace and human rights, and poverty alleviation.

To be eligible to attend the annual CGI U meeting academics must form their own “Commitment to Action,” a specific, concrete plan to address a concern they feel strongly about fixing.

Applications will be avaliable at www.cgiu.org within the next few weeks.

Students can use their commitments to solve problems on campus or in nations across the globe. Almost 1,000 commitments have been made by students since the program’s launch in 2007. CGI U members currently represent over 25 countries.

Last year was the first time UM students attended a CGI U conference. President Shalala served as a panel chair and brought with her 15 dedicated undergraduate and law students.

This spring about 300 UM students will have the opportunity to participate, Shalala said, adding that hundreds more will be able to serve as volunteers and hosts and thousands can attend a public session with President Clinton.

Nina Ruggiero

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...