Raekwon channels Wu-Tang in latest release

Fourteen years after the release of the original, the sequel to Only Built 4 Cuban Linx was finally released. The album, which started production in 2005, suffered many delays.

Fortunately, this left Wu-Tang Clan member Raekwon with an abundance of songs. With a total of 22 tracks, the album runs for one long hour and 17 minutes. One of the remarkable successes of the album is that despite its length, it leaves listeners wanting more from the Wu-Tang Clan.

Vol. 2 features appearances from almost every member of the Wu-Tang Clan. Most prominent among these is Ghostface Killah, who delivers a spectacular performance on a whopping eight songs. On the production side, the album excels with brilliant beats from J Dilla, RZA, Pete Rock, Marley Marl, and Dr. Dre.

The immediate standout track is the pounding posse cut “House of Flying Draggers (featuring Inspectah Deck, GZA, Ghostface Killah & Method Man.)” On “The New Wu (featuring Ghostface Killah and Method Man),” Method Man delivers a catchy chorus of “Tell your friends it’s that symbol again/ that ‘W’/ coming through… back from the slums it be the Wu/ now through your ‘W’s up”.

Although not as great as the original, Vol. 2’s gritty lyrics and haunting beats are refreshing in an era of pop-rap and auto-tune.

3.5 /4 stars

Release Date: 9/8/09

Label: Ice H20

Executive Producer: RZA

Thomas Prieto

Contributing Columnist

At their best, they are UM’s most dynamic players on each side of the ball. But the Ahmmon Richards ...

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team picked up a victory ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...