The Architect of the Blueprint Returns

Shawn Carter, better known as Jay-Z, is back with the final installment in The Blueprint trilogy. The gift and the curse of any Jay-Z album is that it will indelibly be compared to previous classics. The Blueprint 3 is an album that fully embraces this challenge and builds upon the foundation of its predecessors while exploring newer influences.

Produced by Kayne West, the album boasts the same gritty soul influences that made the first so critically acclaimed. This influence is evident in standout tracks like lead single “D.O.A. (Death of Auto-tune)” and “Thank You.” This soul is coupled with an alternative influence to birth songs like “What We Talkin’ Bout (featuring Luke Steele)” and “Hate (featuring Kanye West).”As a whole, the production is masterful and the album strikes a nice balance between the familiar and the uncharted. However, the all too repetitive refrain in “On to the Next (featuring Swizz Beatz)” and “Reminder” take away from the albums overall cohesion.

Lyrically, the album is first-class, which comes as no surprise. Jay’s trademark double entendres and witty metaphors are found in large supply. It seems every song has multiple quotable or memorable lines that beg pressing rewind.

The Blueprint 3 is not an album that will change opinions of Jay-Z as an artist. However, for its lyrical density, unique production, and overall honesty, it lives up to its namesake and is well worth a listen from casual fans and diehards alike.

The Blueprint 3

3/4 stars

Release Date: 9/11/09

Artist: Jay-Z

Label: Roc Nation/Atlantic

Production: Shawn Carter (exec.), Kanye West (exec.), No I.D., Timbaland, The Neptunes, Swizz Beatz, The Inkredibles, Shux

Grant Roberson

Contributing EDGE Writer

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that global pressures are makin ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...