New Indian frat fixes and donates computers

A University of Miami Southern Asian fraternity aims to set an example for others through philanthropy and academia.

Members of Delta Epsilon Psi have a minimum grade point average of 3.0. They voluntarily seek, repair and donate old computers to underprivileged countries through a program called Project PC Hookup.

“I was given so many opportunities,” said Ashish Shah, a junior and founding member. “Here in the US we have so many resources. By giving my time somehow, someway we can make things happen.”

Last Spring, two members of the fraternity traveled along with students from UM’s Medical School to Haiti through Project Medishare, a nonprofit organization aimed at providing vaccines, screen tests and other health care needs to underprivileged nations.

Instead of carry-on luggage, they brought on board four newly repaired computers that would serve Haitian health care workers.

This academic year, the seven-member fraternity wants to donate at least 25 computers to help Project Medishare set up a classroom in Haiti for children.

“Our goal is to expand service and take it to a level organizations in our school haven’t seen,” Swapnil Patel, a junior and the fraternity’s president, said.

Delta Epsilon Psi partnered with another nonprofit organization that collects old computers from hospitals.

Along with the help of a computer savvy fraternity brother, junior Emmanuel Berchmans, the members spend four to five hours a week fixing the modems.

One of the challenges the project faces this year is finding 25 monitors to go along with the repaired modems, according to Shah. But members of the fraternity hope to gain the support of the university as well as the student body.

The fraternity arrived on campus last Fall. Since then it has acquired members of different religions and nationalities.

“We have Christians, Hindus, Muslims,” Shah said. “We are five from India, one from Bangladesh, and one from Cape Verde.”

For more information about Delta Epsilon Psi visit their website: www.depsinu.org.

If you would like to donate to Project PC Hookup, contact Emmanuel Berchmans at: secretary@depsinu.org.

Natalia Martinez

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...