V's Take

Dear V: Dazed and Confused…I think I wanna play for the other team

I’ve been with my boyfriend for more than two years now and we’ve been best friends for even longer. We get along great and I love him but lately I feel like something’s missing. My best girlfriend and I have been close since childhood and I think I’m developing stronger and possibly romantic feelings for her. She’s single and there’s a big chance she feels the same. What should I do? I’m scared of ruining what I already have with both people.

Sincerely,

Heteroflexible

Dear Flexible,

I have the perfect solution to your problem: a magic crystal ball that lets you see into the future!  Sadly, these don’t exist, so things are a bit more complicated.

Weigh your options.  Remember that taking a friendship to the next level will always have its risks.  Are you positive that your female friend feels the same way about you?  Unrequited love is a speedy way to warp a friendship, so be prepared.

You will also need to be prepared for the consequences with your current beau.  If you feel that you can no longer continue the relationship, honesty is a must—especially since he is such a dear friend of yours.  That being said, your history as pals might lessen the chances of permanently destroying your rapport.  Your sexuality is something you cannot control, so he should be able to accept this.  However, he is still entitled to feeling hurt, and getting over your relationship could take time for both of you.

Additionally, I’d like to point out a pattern I’ve noticed.  You have been attracted to two of your best friends.  And from the sound of it, your current relationship still sounds like a friendship, and is not romantically fulfilling.  Consider the possibility that you might be misconstruing platonic feelings for a crush.

Do you feel that pursuing your female friend is truly worth the risks involved?  Will this dilemma continue to eat at you until you have your answer? Or will it blow over in time?

When it comes to matters of the heart, there is often no way of knowing what we truly want until we actually have it (or lose it).  So while crystal ball technology is still being developed, sometimes all we have to go by is a leap of faith.

Best of luck!

Advice Columnist

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...