Volleyball

Volleyball wins two of three in Miami/FIU Inviational

Junior Katie Gallagher meets her opponents at the net Saturday evening at the James L. Knight Sports Complex. Gallagher handed out 35 assists to help the University of Miami volleyball team power past the University of Albany during the Miami/FIU Invitational. Sophia Alzerreca//The Miami Hurricane

On the ninth anniversary of her hiring by the University of Miami, head volleyball coach Nicole Lantagne Welch saw her team sweep the University of Albany in straight sets.

After suffering a tough loss to cross-town rival FIU Thursday, the Hurricanes returned home to the Knight Sports Complex Friday night on a mission. They bounced back nicely in their final two matches of the FIU/Miami Invitational, beating both Middle Tennessee State and Albany.

“You know, being in such tight matches really gets your character going,” Lantagne Welch said. “We learned a lot [against FIU]. Every point is critical…you come together and you find a way and that’s what we did.”

The turnaround wasn’t easy for Miami, who bounced back and beat two teams that appeared in last year’s NCAA Tournament.

In the first set following their Thursday night loss, the Canes had several poor serves and unforced errors. They lost the frame to Middle Tennessee State by a score of 23-25 but rebounded in a big way.

The Hurricanes tied up the match in a very close second set victory, 26-24, and headed in to the locker room for the customary mid-game intermission. Upon returning to the court, Miami jumped out to a 12-3 lead in the third set and never looked back. They took the next two frames by scores of 25-17 and 25-19 to win the match.

Visibly ecstatic about the victory was Hurricanes’ libero Cassie Loessberg, who had a game-high 30 digs and a gigantic smile on her face following the win.

“When we lost the first [set]and were so close, we were [angry],” Loessberg said. “There’s no way that they come to our home turf and take a game away from us…we just decided it’s time. They’re in our gym, they’re going to fire at us, we’re going to fire back as hard as we can.”

Fire back they did, all the way to Saturday night’s finale against Albany where Miami swept the Great Danes by set scores of 25-22, 25-21 and 25-20.

As for Lantagne Welch and the anniversary of her hiring by former Athletic Director Paul Dee nine years ago Saturday, the coach wasn’t even aware of the occasion. She did have some reflective words about her time spent here at the University of Miami.

“It’s been an incredible journey. To start a program from scratch is a very special situation,” Lantagne Welch said. “I’m very proud of the progress the program’s made and it means a tremendous deal to me.”

The journey continues this week for the proud coach as she and the Hurricanes head up to Tallahassee to face off against ACC foe Florida State in their first in-conference match of the 2009 season.

Adam Berger may be contacted at aberger@themiamihurricane.com.

Adam Berger

Staff Sports Writer

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...