Freshmen should have cars second semester

After surviving freshman year, a full year without being allowed to have a vehicle on campus, I have become extremely disappointed with the administration’s decision to implement a freshmen no-car rule.

At first, the university’s policy did not seem to faze me because I knew that the entire freshman class would be in the same boat. I had my mind on other things – making new friends, gaining a sense of freedom, and wondering what living on campus would be like.

After two months, I realized that not having a vehicle on campus presented numerous problems for me. As a Florida resident who lives only four-and-a-half hours away, it became difficult for me to take public transportation. Riding the train or bus instantly added an extra two hours onto my trip. Another option was to take an overpriced 30-minute flight back home to Tampa – no thanks.

Miami is a great city, but without a car, I found myself stuck eating at the same few restaurants and frequently going to the same places around campus. Dining Dollars and Cane Express became my prized possession when I wasn’t in the mood for the one and only delectable Chartwells.

If the shuttles weren’t available at my convenience, I would end up walking to Sunset Place in the heat. It’s times like these when I mumbled to myself, “If only I had my car…”

For these reasons, not having a car can make a freshmen feel isolated from the city of Miami. If I had the power to change this policy, I would allow the freshmen to have their cars during only the second semester.

In my opinion, I do not think a freshman should have one during the whole school year, so they will adjust to their community. This idea is reasonable because it still allows students to spend more time on campus, which will help them adjust and most likely force them to meet new people.

In order to grow and learn, students should not only be familiar with the community within their college, but the city they are living in as well.

Kyli Singh

Managing Editor

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The season-opening, three-day Miami Fall Invite wrapped up Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center a ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...