Fake parking passes surface at UM

realfakedecalDuplicating parking permits and reselling them is an underground business at the University of Miami as well as other institutions.

To avoid paying the full price for a parking permit or even making some money off of it, some students are willing to go great distances.

Richard Soboram, the director of parking and transportation at UM, explained how currently there is a student facing great consequences for making a duplicate permit.

This individual sold it to another student at $180, a low price compared to a commuter permit, which costs $444 a year or a discount permit at $226.

Sobaram remarked about the almost perfect duplication, the only thing missing was the hologram.

Most of the time these are discovered because the cars are parked illegally, however, Sobaram admits that most could probably get away with it if parked legally.

“For every one we find there are probably 10 undetected,” said Sobaram.

Twenty-five were found and confiscated during the last school year.

The risk, however, may not be worth it.

According to Soboram, this student is facing a $500 fine and the case is being taken to the dean of students.  If the person is an employee, the case goes directly to human resources.

UM is not the only school where this is occurring. A friend of a UM student found herself in a similar situation.

Kirstin, a senior at George Mason University in Fairfax, Va., duplicated her permit sophomore year.  After contacting her friend through Facebook she told her story of what happened when she got caught.

When university police went to speak to her at her dorm, she soon found that it is not only considered theft, but also fraud, a felony.

Students can apply for a parking pass through the Life at UM tab on www.miami.edu/myum.

Claudia Curiel

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...