Common with special guests The Wailers to appear at Homecoming

CommonDidn’t think that the idea of Homecoming could get any better? On November 6, Hurricane Productions presents the 2009 Homecoming Concert featuring Common with special guests The Wailers. This concert, featuring hip-hop’s Common and Bob Marley’s The Wailers, will be held at 9:30 p.m. on the University Green in front of Richter Library.

Common, an American rapper and actor, emerged into the hip-hop scene in the early 90s, with his first album Can I Borrow a Dollar? in 1992. Since then, Common has released seven albums, the most recent being Universal Mind Control, released in December 2008.

“I strive to do multiple things. I want to first make music that people can love, enjoy, and be inspired by, and hopefully they can better their lives, open their hearts, and be better people,” said Common in an exclusive interview with The Miami Hurricane.

While many of his peers were writing about stereotypical subject matter for hip-hop music, Common was set aside by his keen perceptions on politics, his sharp wit and rhyming skills, and his ability to poetically capture the daily hardships of the average person.

Supporting act The Wailers formed in 1969, and with Bob Marley, have sold 250 million albums worldwide and had 20 hits on the charts, 10 of which were in the Top 10.

“The University is extremely fortunate to have two legends join us for our homecoming festivities. This is going to be an incredible show that no one will want to miss,” said Max Winik, the Large Venue Concert Chair for Hurricane Productions.  Past headliners have included N.E.R.D, Talib Kweli, Robert Randolph and the Family Band, and The Roots.

“That’s a big spectrum of talent, so to be included on that list, I mean, that’s big!” Common said.

The hip hop artist is pumped to play at UM. “I love the city; it’s great down there! I’m looking forward to Miami. That’s a great list to be a part of,” he said.

Carey Goldenberg may be contacted at cgoldenberg@themiamihurricane.com

If you go:

What: 2009 Homecoming Concert

Who: Common with special guests The Wailers

When: November 6, 9:30p.m.

Where: University Green in front of Richter Library

Cost: FREE for UM students!

Carey Goldenberg

Senior EDGE Writer

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...