Career Expo offers something for everyone

As the Fall Career Expo approaches this Wednesday, many students prepare their resumes and work on their interviewing skills in hopes of landing an internship or job in this tough economy.

Twice every year, in September and February, 900 to 1,200 UM students gather to network with contacts from various local and national companies from almost every industry, the largest being business, followed by engineering.

While many students view the Expo as a convenient way to find employment, Christian Garcia, director of the Toppel Career Center, stresses that the Expo acts more as a gateway into the recruitment process than a job placement service.

“It’s a chance for students and alumni to network,” said Garcia, who has been running the Expo for the past eight years.

Danielle D’alesio, a senior engineering student, attended the Fall Career Expo last year, and after speaking with a Beckman Coulter representative, successfully applied to their internship program online in January.

“I heard from many different people that companies were just there and not actually hiring for positions,” D’alesio said. “Many of the engineering companies seemed to be though.”

A few companies even conduct interviews at Toppel the Thursday and Friday after with the intent to offer employment positions to students.

Students aren’t the only ones that need to prepare themselves.  Often times, many companies are unaware of UM’s relatively small student body size, especially in comparison to Florida’s much larger public universities.

“I educate the employers [prior to the Expo]so they know that they are coming for quality not quantity,” Garcia said.

With the current economic state, concerns have arisen from employers and students alike over a potential decrease in the availability of jobs and internships.

However, at Kaufman, Rossin & Co., a local accounting firm, the recession hasn’t resulted in any hiring freezes.

“Regardless of the economy, we are there to meet with the students, but we tell them to apply online anyways,” said Joy Batteen, the director of talent and development. “The number of interns we are hiring hasn’t changed.”

Before the Expo, students should review the list of companies appearing and decide which tables they will stop at.  If students feel they need more help, walk-in advising is available every Monday through Thursday for resume critiquing.

A complete list of companies is available at Toppel or online at www.miami.edu/careerexpo.

Rachael Kaminski

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...