Arts and Sciences makes up enrollment gap

In a year which many universities feared the sagging economy would result in fewer incoming freshmen, the University of Miami’s College of Arts and Sciences has seen its number of new student deposits stay on track with last year and even increase a bit, according to the school’s interim dean, Dr. Jacqueline Dixon.

The numbers did not always look so good. As of May, the number of incoming new students who had paid their deposits was down ten percent in the College of Arts and Sciences. The number for the entire university was down one percent.

At the start of classes, the College of Arts and Sciences had 960 incoming students – the exact same number as last year.

The university as a whole has also matched last year’s numbers with roughly 2,000 new undergraduates, according to the university’s admissions office.

To ensure that the numbers do not drop, the college dipped into the waiting list, which was expanded to provide greater flexibility if needed.

“This is not a new phenomenon,” said Paul Orehovec, the vice president for the division of enrollment management. “We [the college]generally take students from the waiting list every third year. Harvard does it too;  everyone does.”

The statistics of the average grade point average and SAT scores for the students will not be available until October but Dixon is confident the incoming class will be an excellent one, saying the dip into the waiting list “did not diminish the quality of the students at all.”

“We are very proud – and relieved – for this,” said Dixon. “It’s going to be a great year and we are excited for our new students; they are of the utmost quality.”

Megan Terilli

Contributing EDGE Writer

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The global exploration, media, and education company will kick off a national campaign at UM to offe ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...

The University of Miami volleyball team is set to host Clemson and Georgia Tech in the first of four ...

Four members of the Miami women's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Cham ...