YOUniversity of Miami

Costa Rica, Germany, Japan, Australia. The list goes on. Each year, dozens of international students come to the University of Miami to spend anywhere from a semester to four years at the school, bringing with them their customs, foods, music choices, and more. This melting pot adds a great international feel to our school, and I, for one, love it. It lets all of us who haven’t had the opportunity to travel overseas and around the world to experience some global culture. Not to mention, there are quite a few female exchange students that really make me want to renew my passport.

This year, as I looked over my housing agreement in Pearson, I noticed that next to one of my suite mates’ name was, in italics, Great Britain. I took it as my duty to show the ‘bloke’ around, introduce him to my fraternity and my friends, and make him feel at home.

Everyone loved him immediately, and I realized all my intentions, while good-natured, weren’t needed. I did, however, think that I probably should help him meet some girls while he was here. After all, UM does boast some of the most gorgeous girls in the country, and as an exchange student, didn’t he deserve to meet some of the best the United States had to offer?

As we got in the dining hall, I told him to hold on a second, as I approached a table of a couple female friends, trying to ask them to be sweet to him. I motioned him over, and what happened still manages to blow my mind. All it took was a heavily accented, charming, James-Bond-esque “Why hello lovelies, how are we today,” and every girl in a 10-foot radius was smitten.

The moral of this story? Three things. One, international students are great, and they come here to get a good education, have fun, and meet some Americans. Two, ladies, get prepared to fall head over heels in love after a “G-day” from an Australian or a “Hows it?” from a South African. And three… I need to work on my accent.

Evan Peskin

Staff Columnist

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...