Stay Classy, Miami

On Monday night Canes showed their support as the Hurricanes faced long-time rival Florida State for the 54th time.

The game, aside from a celebratory occasion, showed us why FSU is our rival. We are all familiar with the jeers and cheers of both teams that come with the territory of sports, alcohol and competition.

However, the Noles took good spirit and fun above and beyond to a level of vulgarity and bad sportsmanship. Witnessing this outward display of embarrassing conduct makes you consider what is in good fun, and what is downright trashy.

Canes fans were decked in orange and green from head to toe, as one would expect as a show of support. Seminoles, too, sported shirts featuring the “U.” Rather than support their team, they focused on demeaning ours with slogans such as F*** U, thUgs, scUM and Muck Fiami. An overwhelming display of Miami’s colors in crude context cropped up on every turn.

This, however, is not even the worst. Hurricanes visiting the campus would inevitably get lost in Seminole territory. On several occasions, FSU students would happily direct them – the wrong way.

This intended malice exceeded supporting their school and focused energies on degrading ours. Noles crowded around the bus chartered for the Miami football team to welcome the players with crude gestures, signs and chants.

Rivalry became an onset of poor taste and despicable behavior.

Keeping this in mind, we call on all Canes to maintain a level of dignity and respect. When Georgia Tech visits us at the first home football game a week from today, make everyone proud to be a Miami Hurricane. Act with a level of dignity that demands respect and dispels any misconceptions of Miami as a “thug” or “scum” school.

And for goodness sake, please give people the right directions.

Chelsea Matiash

Editor in Chief 09'-10'

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

Senior Dew Weber of the University of Miami golf team continued to march towards her professional go ...

The University of Miami soccer team dropped its ACC road match against NC State, 1-0, Thursday night ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...