Football

Secondary wins with seconds to play

The University of Miami secondary had been maligned the entire game until the waning seconds of the epic clash.

In a showdown that featured eight lead changes, the Canes were not about to make it nine.

“I can’t even remember the last five seconds,” head coach Randy Shannon said. “[Florida State] didn’t have a chance to call timeouts. They had the one run, had to call a timeout, then that was the last one. When it came down to those last seconds we knew they had to throw it.”

The UM defense rose to the occasion as the Noles had three opportunities to score from the two-yard line with 14 seconds left but were unable to prevail. The garnet and gold at Bobby Bowden Field at Doak Campbell Stadium were left speechless.

Even though the Canes gave up 404 total yards, 294 passing yards from Florida State junior quarterback Christian Ponder, the orange and green secondary catapulted the Canes to victory when it mattered most.

“We played like men when it mattered,” said senior safety and captain Randy Phillips, who had six tackles and an interception in his return from tearing his lateral collateral ligament last year. “We didn’t change anything on defense [late in the game]. We just settled down a little bit.”

On first-and-goal with 14 seconds left from the two yard line, Ponder lofted a fade over sophomore cornerback Brandon Harris in the back left corner of the end zone but Harris reacted to swat the ball away.

“That’s what I mean by maturity factor,” Shannon said, referring to Harris’ goal line break up. “He was in the same situation last year [against FSU]and was nervous. They attacked him and he made a great play.”

One second-and-goal with nine seconds remaining, Ponder looked for his receiver but the pressure from sophomore linebacker Sean Spence forced Ponder to overthrow the pass in the back of the end zone. Senior cornerback Sam Shields had hand in face of the intended receiver.

On the final play Ponder rolled right and found receiver sophomore wide receiver Jarmon Fortson open but the off-balance throw was low and hit the turf as time expired.

Harris was awarded ACC Defensive Back of the Week after tallying a career-high nine tackles and deflecting two passes.

“Like they say, defenses win games,” said Graig Cooper who had 232 all-purpose yards and two touchdowns. “I’m sure everybody was nervous when they were inside the five, but they pulled it out for us. I’m proud of the defense.”

Despite the fact the Canes were without defensive backs Vaughn Telemaque and Ryan Hill, each out with upper body injuries, they were still able to preserve.

“We had a great goal line stand, which shows you where we’re at last year to now,” Shannon said.  “North Carolina last year, Florida State, games like that when we had chances and didn’t capitalize. That gets the players to understand how important it is that we keep working to get better each week and not rely on what we did in the past.

Lelan LeDoux may be contacted at lledoux@themiamihurricane.com.

Lelan LeDoux

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...