Letters to the Editor, Opinion

Letter to the Editor: Hurry ‘Canes Shuttles embarrassment to university

As a graduate of the venerable School of Journalism and Mass Communication at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, I take my role as a trained observer very seriously, and my responsibility as a grammatical invigilator no less so.

Last week, I arrived at the University of Miami to begin work toward a master’s degree in multimedia journalism in the School of Communication. I was immediately provoked by a prodigious punctuation error that is disturbing not only in its grammatical magnitude (really bad), but also in its physical dimension (in letters about five feet tall) and geographical reach (all over campus!).

I am writing, of course, about the green-and-orange Hurry ’Canes shuttles that ferry students and faculty about campus. Even the casual observer would note that a comma must appear after the word “hurry.” The phrase “Hurry, ’Canes” directly addresses the campus community of “’canes,” imploring us to “hurry.” Thus, a comma is required before the name of the person(s) to whom the admonition is directed.

With the comma, “Hurry, ’Canes” is grammatically correct. (That bothersome capital “C” and the purloined period at the end are matters for another discussion.) Without the comma, “Hurry ’Canes” means…well, I don’t think it means anything at all.

I have read that our school is now No. 50 in US News and World Report’s annual ranking of universities.

I trust that action will be taken to correct UM’s glaring grammatical gaffe; hopefully before the editors at US News find out about it.

-Charles “Stretch” Ledford, Multimedia Journalism Graduate Student

EDITOR’S NOTE: While it may seem grammatically incorrect in other circumstances, the Hurry ‘Canes shuttles are a play on the word “hurricane,” in reference to our sports teams.

Hurricane Reader

Letter to the Editor

Lucha Latina celebrates Hispanic Heritage Month by highlighting Central American culture. ...

The Frost School of Music’s Valerie Coleman, who heads to Carnegie Hall tonight with the Philadelphi ...

Engineering students at the University of Miami combine inventive materials with a new construction ...

Women’s soccer World Cup champion Megan Rapinoe urged University of Miami students to fight for equa ...

Engineering and business professors met with officials from the City of North Bay Village and Miami- ...

Keith Stone had a bevy of options to pick from when deciding where to spend his final year as a coll ...

University of Miami junior cornerback Trajan Bandy was named ACC Defensive Back of the Week after a ...

Shannon McCarthy and BIIK Kazygurt are set to face off against FC Bayern Munich in the UEFA Champion ...

The Hurricanes got a much-needed conference win Friday night over Virginia. Now Miami looks to build ...

Kristina Fisher registers her 17th career assist to move into second on the program's all-time ...