Football

Jacory Harris may indeed be “the Savior”

Apparently Jacory Harris reads The Miami Hurricane.

The 6-foot-4-inch 190-pound slender hometown hero proved he has the intangibles to lead UM back to its glory days.

Dubbed “the Savior” who will revive a formerly-mediocre UM football team, Harris showcased his playmaking abilities in the national spotlight Monday night.

In one week he has already put Miami back on the map as the Canes are ranked No. 20 and No. 22 in this week’s Associated Press and USA Today coaches’ polls respectively. The No. 20 ranking is the highest Miami has been rated since being tabbed No. 17 in September of 2006.

His near 400-yard passing performance earned him ACC Offensive Back of the Week honors.

Quarterbacks are always judged on two key ingredients: wins and ability to execute in the fourth quarter.

After Monday night’s instant-classic 38-34 victory over the Seminoles, Harris improved to 32-1 as a starting quarterback at any level. His 99 yard game winning drive in the final possession of the Class 6A Florida Sate semi-finals against Deerfield Beach in 2007 was a microcosm of Harris’ innate ability to be a leader and perform under the bright lights.

“Being at Miami Northwestern is a difference,” Shannon said of his star quarterback. “You are held to a higher standard and everybody is going to be on you. He came to Miami his freshman year and got some wins for us and never panicked. If you look at [Ken] Dorsey’s, [Steve] Walsh’s and Jacory’s bodies they are all fragile guys. But their mindset and mentality was ‘We’re not going to panic, we’re not going to get frustrated.’ When they make mistakes they learn from them.”

Heading into the fourth quarter, the Hurricanes were just 1-for-8 on third downs, but in the final frame they were 4-for-5.

On the ensuing drive after Harris injured his funny bone, he converted on three straight third down conversions to ultimately set up a 25-yard touchdown pass to Graig Cooper.

After the Noles would respond with a 45-yard field goal with just over four minutes left, Harris countered with a 40 yard strike to Travis Benjamin as he hit his receiver in stride while in double coverage as Benjamin ever so slightly dragged his back foot as he maintained passion. That set up the go ahead touchdown as Cooper scampered up the middle for a three yard score.

Jacory Sherrod Harris may just be “the Savior” UM has been searching for since its golden years.

Justin Antweil may be contacted at jantweil@themiamihurricane.com. Christina De Nicola contributed to this report.

Justin Antweil

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The global exploration, media, and education company will kick off a national campaign at UM to offe ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...

The University of Miami volleyball team is set to host Clemson and Georgia Tech in the first of four ...

Four members of the Miami women's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Cham ...