Soccer

Soccer team wins game one of Hurricane Cup

For the Hurricanes, patience was a virtue.

The Canes (3-1-0) survived unscathed with a 1-0 victory over the Western Carolina in its first game as hosts of the Hurricane Cup Friday evening at Cobb Stadium. 

The Hurricanes did not start the game until 9:55 p.m. due to a lightning delay. They delay was extended even more when the first game between Dayton and Navy went into double overtime and ended in a 0-0 draw.

“That was quite the challenge,” said head coach Tricia Taliaferro of the two and a half hour delay. “It was a good experience for us to have to deal with. We just tried to keep as normal as we could.”

The lone goal came in the 34th minute when unmarked senior Paulelett Rick-Chambers headed the ball into to the near post completely off a perfect cross by junior Britney Steinbruch who recorded her first assist of the season. 

“Steinbruch crossed it and it was a beautiful cross so I just finished the opportunity,” Ricks- Chambers said.

In the 13th minute Ricks-Chambers crossed a ball to freshman Kate Howarth who kicked the ball wide; Steinbruch found the loose ball and shot on goal but it was deflected for a corner.

Both teams had trouble controlling the midfield and creating spaces for its forwards, in part do the bad conditions of the field, damaged by the rain and the previous game.           

For the second game in a row the Miami defense was able to completely shut down its opponents, who had almost no approaches on the Hurricane goal.  

“At the beginning of the season we had a couple people that would take pressure,” Taliaferro said. “[Now] the whole unit was going to defend and it kind of smothered them everywhere.”

Sophomore goalie Vikki Alonzo had three saves to keep the game even and record her first solo shutout of the season.

In the 35th minute a Western Carolina player slid into her with her cleats up, clipping her on the knee; fortunately she was not injured on the play.  

“It feels better. I mean the team helped out, we all played as one,” Alonzo said.

UM next faces Navy (4-0-1) at 3:30 p.m. on the final match of the Hurricane Cup Sunday. Dayton and Western Carolina will face off at 1 pm.

Debora Rubi may be contacted at drubi@themiamihurricane.com

Debora Rubi

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...