Zipcar program expands on campus

While on the University of Georgia campus, Sandra Redway, the University of Miami’s executive director of business services, took note of a great program ideal for any college student.

The idea was Zipcars.

The program launched August 2008 and has grown rapidly ever since.

Starting with only three cars, the current Zipcar availability has tripled to nine fuel-efficient cars.

Seven are located on the Coral Gables Campus. The other two are on the Miller School of Medicine campus. These Zipcars include four Toyota Priuses,  two Toyota Matrixes, two Mazda 3s and a Honda Element.

Student Government President Lionel Moise is a supporter of advancing the program even more.

“There has been a high demand,” he said. “Perhaps by the end of next year students will see 12 cars [versus the current nine available].”

Zipcars are currently located in the Patti and Allan Herbert Wellness Center parking lot as well as the Mahoney Residential College parking lots.

Not only are students being offered a cohesive and effective car option, but the university is not losing a dime in operational costs.

Though Miami has allocated a small amount of money for start-up advertising, it is not profiting from this program.

“It is a great service for all students, no matter what year they may be,” Moise said. “Overall, it is a great way to explore Miami.”

For more information, visit www.zipcar.com/umiami or stop by the Parking and Transportation Services Office on the first floor of the Ponce de Leon Parking Garage.

Jason Soriano

Contributing News Editor

Court adjourned at United States v. James Gatto on Monday, but not before one last piece of good new ...

Add former five-star running back recruit Lorenzo Lingard to the growing list of injured Miami Hurri ...

Here’s our story on the big news of the day: Mark Richt admonishing N’Kosi Perry for posting a video ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback N’Kosi Perry has been reprimanded for posting a vi ...

The Miami Hurricanes are usually off on Mondays. But today, the Canes (5-2, 2-1 Atlantic Coast Confe ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

The Hurricanes head to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a for a nationally-televised game against a rough a ...

A trio of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes will continue to make a run at the ...

The Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame announced the 14 semifinalists for the 2018 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...