Football

Reigning team MVP looking for an even better year

For the first time since the Jack Harding MVP Award’s inception in 1963, a kicker won the award.

Yes, a kicker.

Junior placekicker Matt Bosher was voted by his teammates and coaches as the Canes’ Most Valuable Player last year. He was also named a semifinalist for the Lou Groza Award, given annually to the nation’s best kicker.

Bosher’s standout performance as a sophomore provided stability to a team in serious need.  The 2007 Hurricanes squad managed a level of overall inconsistency that was simply astounding.  In 2008, however, Bosher brought consistency to one of the most important but often overlooked facets of the game: special teams.

The Jupiter, Fla., native maintained a 90 percent field-goal percentage (18 of 20 on the season), averaged 42.3 yards per punt and earned himself accolades on the All-ACC Second Team as both a kicker and punter as well as a spot on the Lou Groza 2009 Watch List.

Last year Bosher connected on two field goals over 50 yards. In addition, he successfully converted a fake punt for a first down against Florida State.

Rather than reminiscing about his past success, however, the 6-0, 205-pounder says he is focused on the future.

“It’s in the past,” he said of his honors.  “We have a new season coming up and we’re all going to play hard.”

Teaming up on kicking duties with Bosher will be redshirt freshman and Illinois native Jake Wieclaw.  According to head coach Randy Shannon, the two kickers have been working together, and both have taken kickoffs in the last few scrimmages.

“I’ve learned a lot from Bosher,” Wieclaw said.  “He’s a great kicker, and whenever you have someone that good ahead of you, it definitely helps.”

Bosher had similar praise for his teammate.

“Jake’s doing really well field goal-wise, practicing punts and kickoffs, just a very nice job all around,” he said. ” He’s matured and gotten stronger, and he’s improved on a lot of stuff.”

Just days before the season opener, Shannon has not announced who will be responsible for kickoff duties.

So far in the practices leading up to the showdown against the Seminoles, both kickers have seemed content with the play of the unit.

“Special teams have been playing really well,” Bosher said. “Guys are getting down field, flying down and making tackles.”

One of Bosher’s most impressive performances from 2008 came against the Florida Gators in Gainesville, where he kicked a 50-yard field goal in a loss to the eventual BCS National Champions. Perhaps more memorable than the field goal were three big tackles made by the kicker on special teams.

When asked about his tackling ability, Bosher smiled.

“Right now guys are getting downfield in a hurry, so hopefully I won’t have to worry about making too many tackles this year.”

As long as Bosher can replicate his success from last season, the Hurricanes cannot ask for much more out of their star kicker.

Camron Ghorbi

Staff EDGE Writer

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...