Football

Rathskeller to host football watch party

Don’t want to pay $70 to attend the UM vs. FSU game? Don’t want to drive nine hours to Tallahassee? Afraid of missing classes Tuesday morning?

No need to worry, you can still be a part of the action at UM’s legendary Rathskeller.

On Monday evening the “Rat” will be hosting a watch party for the college football season opener. The game will air on ESPN beginning at 8 p.m., but doors will open at 7 p.m. Canes fans will gather around the big screen to watch one of the biggest rivalries in sports.

“We have been hosting watch parties for years,” senior and Rathskeller Advisory Board member Mia Amato said. “It was a huge success two years ago when Miami played at FSU, and we expect the same type of atmosphere.”

The Rat’s advisory board organized the social gathering, while Category Five and Hurricane Productions are sponsoring the event.

Drink and food specials as well as trivia questions in exchange for prizes will take place at the Rat throughout the evening.

Adjacent to UM’s sports bar and grill will be another big screen outside where Canes fans can relax near Lake Osceola and catch all the action.

Before the watch party at 7 p.m., members of Catergory 5 will be painting faces of students on the bridge that connects Hecht and Stanford Residential Colleges.

“I love being at the Rat with fellow diehard fans,” senior Brad Kenin said. “It’s a lot of fun and I’ve been going there for years to watch big games. It’s better than watching at home on my couch.”

Despite the fact that the game is on Labor Day and classes are the next morning, the Rat has more than enough eager students to sign up and help out with the festivities Monday night.

“It’s going to be a great atmosphere,” Amato said. “If you are not going to the game, it’s going to be the place to be.”

Justin Antweil

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier is not relinquishing that starting job anytime soon. On ...

The Miami Hurricanes don’t just have a marquee season opener against LSU on their hands on Sept. 2. ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Monday: ▪ Here’s one encouraging development this month: The fre ...

The preseason love continues. The Associated Press unveiled its Top 25 preseason rankings Monday, an ...

The Miami Hurricanes on Monday had their first practice after their second scrimmage Saturday night ...

The University of Miami welcomed more than 2,300 new students to campus as the fall semester got und ...

Intergroup Dialogue, a pilot program that will soon become a UM elective course, promotes honest tal ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami checked in at No. 8 in the preseason Associated Press poll, marking its highest position in th ...

Miami and adidas today revealed their new environmentally-conscious alternate uniforms for the 2018 ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team picked up a victory ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...