Pi Kappa Alpha under investigation

The Gamma Omega chapter of Pi Kappa Alpha is under investigation by the University of Miami Dean of Students Office over an unregistered party.

According to William Lake, the associate dean and director of Judicial Affairs, the event took place over the weekend at a private residence.

“We have to do an investigation before we really know what happened,” Lake said.

Once the investigation is finished, possible results for the fraternity can include being found not guilty or social probation.

The Gamma Phi chapter of Sigma Chi and the Epsilon-Omega chapter of Lambda Chi Alpha are already under investigation by the University of Miami’s Dean of Students Office.

Unregistered parties are the topic of both of these investigations.

Lake added that while these events reflect poor judgment, it should not spoil the fraternities’ reputations on campus.

“These unfortunate circumstances were the product of bad decisions,” said Lake. “But these decisions do not define these fraternities.”

At the Inter-Fraternity Council meeting Tuesday night, Dean of Students Ricardo Hall and Vice President for Student Affairs Patricia A. Whitely were present to address the recurrent infractions.

“I spoke to IFC members and expressed my profound disappointment for the alleged actions of members of three of our fraternities,” Whitely said in an e-mail to The Miami Hurricane.

“I reiterated the university’s clear policies and shared that I expect all of our Greek groups to adhere to those regulations. Failure to do so, will, unfortunately, result in very serious consequences.”

Lila Albizu

Assistant News Editor

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...