Culture

Creative Writing program to host poetry readings, original performances

Literary enthusiasts will have to look no further than the Oasis Deli at 6:30 p.m. this Friday night when it comes to finding a bit of well-versed entertainment.

Due in part to funding from the UM Citizens’ Board and UM Auxiliary Services, the creative writing department has partnered with the Oasis Deli in hosting a new program called USpeak.

Local writers, University of Miami students and graduates will present their original literary works.

“USPEAK is an all-campus opportunity to step up and speak your truth,” Director of Creative Writing M. Evelina Galang said. “We want to create an intellectual and creative space where poets and writers – majors and non-majors – as well as faculty share their original stories and poems at the open mic.”

Starting off what will be an eight-night run over the course of the academic year is young adult novelist and University of Miami alumna Crissa-Jean Chappell. Future performances will feature poet and Pure Imagination‘s radio host Matt Gajewski, international poet Adrian Castro, and UM alumnus Neil de la Flor.

The sessions, which will be broadcast on WVUM (90.5 FM) and made into a podcast, will also allow audience members to join in and present their own poems, stories and music at the open mic.

“I know Hurricanes are not shy,” Galang said. “I challenge them to come up and do it.”

Alexandra Leon

Senior News Writer

Caribbean experts assessed the coronavirus’s impact on the region in a webinar on Nov. 19 hosted by the University of Miami Institute for Advanced Study of the Americas. ...

A project on race, housing, and displacement in Miami connects past patterns of discrimination to modern disparities. ...

United Black Students and the Black Student Athlete Alliance, in partnership with the University of Miami administration, mobilize to honor the lives lost due to police brutality. ...

As students and faculty and staff members prepare to wrap up the Fall 2020 semester, here’s a look at the availability of facilities and services during the break. ...

The University of Miami president called for increased cooperation, new powers for the World Health Organization, and transparency incentives as critical to manage and mitigate future health outbreaks. ...