Creative Writing program to host poetry readings, original performances

Literary enthusiasts will have to look no further than the Oasis Deli at 6:30 p.m. this Friday night when it comes to finding a bit of well-versed entertainment.

Due in part to funding from the UM Citizens’ Board and UM Auxiliary Services, the creative writing department has partnered with the Oasis Deli in hosting a new program called USpeak.

Local writers, University of Miami students and graduates will present their original literary works.

“USPEAK is an all-campus opportunity to step up and speak your truth,” Director of Creative Writing M. Evelina Galang said. “We want to create an intellectual and creative space where poets and writers – majors and non-majors – as well as faculty share their original stories and poems at the open mic.”

Starting off what will be an eight-night run over the course of the academic year is young adult novelist and University of Miami alumna Crissa-Jean Chappell. Future performances will feature poet and Pure Imagination‘s radio host Matt Gajewski, international poet Adrian Castro, and UM alumnus Neil de la Flor.

The sessions, which will be broadcast on WVUM (90.5 FM) and made into a podcast, will also allow audience members to join in and present their own poems, stories and music at the open mic.

“I know Hurricanes are not shy,” Galang said. “I challenge them to come up and do it.”

Alexandra Leon

Senior News Writer

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team will begin her fall campaign Thursday a ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...