‘Taking Woodstock’ beautiful but slow

Taking Woodstock is typical of director Ang Lee: beautifully shot and compellingly acted yet somewhat plodding. Lee,  who won an Oscar for Brokeback Mountain (another gorgeous, sad and painfully slow film), seems to favor nature shots – very long nature shots – and fans of that will not be disappointed.

True to form, Lee just takes his time to allow anything substantial to happen. The plot of Taking Woodstock is not, as one might believe, the story of the concert itself; Jimi, Janis and Jerry play an almost imperceptible role in the film. Rather, Taking Woodstock is the story of how the concert came to be, of how one exasperated young man attempted to save his parents’ failing upstate motel and the musical event of a generation at the same time.

Demetri Martin’s trademark deadpan is utilized well by Lee — instead of being the film’s driving force, he allows the action to happen around him. An almost unrecognizable Imelda Staunton is his mother, a bitter Russian émigré, and Emile Hirsch is wonderful as a Vietnam veteran haunted by his experiences. However, the best performances by far belong to Liev Schreiber as a cross-dressing Marine and Jonathan Groff as the concert’s head organizer.

Rating: 3/4 stars

Starring: Demetri Martin, Jonathan Groff, Liev Schreiber

Directed By: Ang Lee

MPAA: R

Sarah B. Pilchick

Senior EDGE Writer

By showing how the controversial crime-fighting strategy is unevenly employed in marginalized neighb ...

Hosmay Lopez, of the NOAA Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies at the University ...

UM alumna Shirley Hoffman Kilkelly was one of the few women engineers who worked on the Apollo 11 mo ...

College of Engineering alumnus Frank DeMattia was just 21 years old when he went to work at NASA on ...

Registered dietitian Stephanie Sanchez shares realistic, healthy ways to get you on track and headed ...

Sophomore tight end Brevin Jordan was among the 60 players named to the 2019 John Mackey Award Prese ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team added yet another elite accolade to her ...

Redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Osborn was among six ACC players named to The Biletnikoff Award W ...

The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) has awarded the University of Miami a 2019 NCAA ...

Dane Dunlap, William Grattan-Smith and Franco Aubone were each selected as All-Academic Scholar Athl ...